I recently did a personal brand photo session with Molly from Peaceful and Prenatal. Molly is a certified yoga instructor specializing in pre and postnatal yoga and a certified Reiki Master, not to mention a very sweet and kind person.
I asked her to do a guest blog post for my maternity and newborn photo clients. Since we have a similar audience I thought this was a perfect blog post to share. If you are pregnant or recently had a baby read on, these tips can be very beneficial! Please always practice safety and listen to your body. If you are new to yoga, you can take one of Molly’s classes virtually to help guide you.
Prenatal Yoga Benefits
Prenatal yoga is designed to help mama feel as comfortable as possible during her pregnancy and prepare the body for labor and delivery. By practicing a lot of hip openers, you prepare the hips and allow baby to make their way into optimal fetal positioning. Also, stretch out the shoulders and back to counteract our belly misaligning our spine.
Poses to Try
- Goddess: This pose is a great pose to open up through the hips. When coupled with shoulder drops, the spine gets some yummy movement as well. This pose strengthens the inside of your thighs and allows plenty of space for your baby.
2. Cat/Cow: If you were to take cat/cow every morning for about one minute, you will likely notice a huge difference in back pain. This allows for space between all of the vertebrae and takes the pressure out of the spine holding you and baby upright.
3. Legs up the wall: Legs up the wall is a gentle inversion with so many benefits. This increases blood circulation, and in turn reduces swelling. This pose can also help relieve headaches and nausea. Bring your hands to your belly as an opportunity to connect with your baby.
Prenatal Reiki Benefits
Prenatal mamas can also benefit from Reiki. Reiki is a Japanese healing method. “Rei” (life) + “ki” (force) = life force; your body’s energy. By balancing energy in the body, you can lessen the effects of nausea, ease stress, and connect with your baby. The energy that flows through you also flows to your baby, so they will also receive these positive effects. I conduct my reiki sessions virtually so you can relax in the comfort of your home, all you need to have is an open mind.
Postnatal yoga helps mama return to safe movement. We work to reconnect with our muscles by building strength, and help tired and tight muscles with lots of stretching. Accommodations can be made for mamas who might have had a c-section or are experiencing diastasis recti, making the practice accessible during their postpartum journey. Move with lots of love and try to find love for our new bodies. After all mom has gone through: pregnancy, labor, delivery, and now taking care of a newborn, adding in positive mama mantras and allow time for rest and recovery is essential.
Poses to Try
- Stretch it out: Stretching out through the shoulders allows mama to release some of the tension that might be held in this area. After carrying a baby around all day, this is an opportunity to stretch out your tired muscles.
2. Neck Stretch: For mamas who are breastfeeding, stretching through the neck alleviates some of the discomfort you might experience during nursing.
3. Child’s Pose: In restorative poses like child’s pose, practice mindfulness by breathing deeply and work to stay in the present moment. This can be a challenge, but with practice you’ll be able to build this connection that can provide you with a sense of calm.
Reiki for Postnatal Mothers
For postnatal mamas, Reiki can be very beneficial during the healing process. Birth is an emotional journey, and Reiki can help in healing emotional stress. By balancing the energy, you might notice a decrease in “mom brain” and feeling more centered and less foggy by the end of the session. Some studies have also shown an increase in breast milk production after Reiki.
So there you have it, yoga poses and stretches to help you feel good whether you are waiting for baby or have recently had your baby. Remember, it’s essential to take time for you too!
Katie Pugliese Photography is a maternity, newborn and family photographer and now offering fun and empowering personal branding sessions for female entrepreneurs in the health and wellness industry. Serving all of Connecticut.
How Yoga and Reiki can Benefit Prenatal and Postnatal Mothers
June 14, 2021